Not too much to report today. There was a front page story in the Sunday China Post talking about the effect of the cool weather on the Annual Rugby Tournament. It never quite got out of the low 80’s today either.
I pretty much stayed close to my room most of the day in order to acclimate my sleep cycle to the Hong Kong time. I did work out in the hotel gym which was reasonably well equipped for the purpose. But each machine baffled me because it was gauged to the metric system. How fast did I want the treadmill to go? Whoa… nine kilometers an hour was a bit too brisk, and four was about equal to a furniture shopping pace with my wife. “Goldilocks” finally settled on 6.8 km/hr. I liked that it sounded fast too.
Later in the day, my boss Stan popped by the hotel and we braved the frigid air (fortunately, he was wearing his insulated sandals) to find a restaurant. Stan knew the area well and we walked for about twenty minutes until we found the Australian Stump Steakhouse. I pulled on my glasses to read the menu and the left lens (the one I need, of course) plopped onto the table. I held it together with my fingers and quickly examined the entrees looking for rib eye. I had packed two pairs of reading glasses for the trip, and a couple of days into it, I don’t have any working spectacles left.
On the upside, it turned out that the beef was the best stump meal I’d ever had (whatever the hell that means). Stan knew the manager and he asked her if the kangaroo was any good. “Mae” suggested that a kangaroo was too cute to eat. I guess this is why you never see Golden Retriever on the menu. Still, we gave it a go and each of us partook of a kangaroo shish kabob. My skewer held three small morsels of rather bland meat. (Don’t worry, between the two of us we didn’t even consume a Joey’s worth!). It was just okay, especially for a marsupial, but next time I think I’ll go with the Gator. That’s right… there was an alligator meat appetizer too. Or maybe it was crocodile. I can’t really tell the difference, especially when they are charbroiled. And, as the old saying goes “some days the gator eats you, but on other days you eat the gator”.
Friday, May 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment