Sunday, May 10, 2009

If this is Sunday, then it Must Be Taipei

I awoke with my eighth straight migraine. Is it the pollution, the paint fumes, nerves? I don’t know, but I’m hopeful that either Taiwan will bring relief or the pills that Kim sent will arrive in time to stave off the next one.

I bid adieu to Stan, left a note thanking Pat and grabbed a Taxi to the Airport Express Train in Central. I’m starting to sound like an expert, eh? The train set up is actually pretty cool. I approached the Cathay Pacific ticket agent right there at the station. So, I was able to secure my Boarding Pass and shed my checked bag and then jump on the train for the forty five minute ride to the airport.

Unfortunately, I made the rookie mistake of packing my toiletries in my carry-on. Therefore, I was halted at security while they removed and threw away my shampoo, after shave, underarm deodorant and shaving cream. Great! Now I’m going to have buy replacement items in Taiwan, but at least the plane will be safe from the threat of good hygiene.

Cathay’s business class was very accommodating. Each of us had our own tiny, but relatively private cubicle. I wish I had one of these on the flight over. I think the wall would have been decent protection from the aforementioned Bea and the space was so narrow that she probably couldn't have squeezed her elephantine circumference in between. Too bad the flight from Hong Kong to Taipei is so short. Still, I stretched out flat and napped for a few minutes just ‘cause I could, y’know?

Shortly after checking in to the Hotel, I stepped into a nearby mall searching for my new set of toiletries. It took me a long time to locate a small display of Men’s stuff at a store peddling sundries. I guessed at the deodorant and shaving cream based upon what the picture of the Asian fellow was doing to himself on the label. There was one selection of after shave that smelled like toilet cleaner, so I decided to let my face go commando for a couple of days instead of leaving people with a lingering scent of Scrubbing Bubbles.

I ended up wasting most of the rest of the day working and watching TV for the first time in about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment